some text

May 23, 2012

Torche - Harmonicraft (Album Review)




So Torche, a Miami, FL band formed in 2004, consisting of Steve Brooks on guitars and vocals, Jonathan Nuñez on bass, guitar, synth, and he recorded and produced the album, Andrew Elstner on guitars and vocals, and Richard Smith on drums/percussion. This is their 3rd full length studio album, 8th release overall; after their 2 studio albums, 4 EP's, and 2 Splits; and their first album off of Volcom Entertainment. Their past studio albums are Torche in 2005, Meanderthal in 2008, and now Harmonicraft was released in 2012 on April 24th. The album consists of 13 tracks totaling roughly 40 minutes. The album is what is called Sludge Metal. I would more or less consider the album pop-metal, pop-rock, or just plain alternative. To be 100% honest I never cared for Torche, and I didn't like this album the first or second time I listened to it. The CD was on sale at Best Buy at the time and AP had placed it as one of the Most Anticipated Albums of 2012, so I thought I would buy it. As of right now, after listening to the album 9 or 10 times in preparation for this review, I have come to the conclusion that I liked it to an extent, my top 3 songs on the album are Kicking, Snakes Are Charmed, & Walk It Off. My favorite song Kicking, which you can listen to HERE. After much consideration and listening I am going to give this album an overall rating of
3.8 Out Of 5 Stars
because of the fact that nothing really held its ground in this album. From start to finish the drums and guitars sounded repetitive and on some tracks all you heard were instrumentals the entire time. As vocals go they deserve a big fat MEH because they were nothing special, basically they lacked passion as did the lyrics. Now I'm not saying all the lyrics were bad but just most of them felt meaningless to ME, they are probably important to many other people. As for the artwork, I hated it, first off since I buy physical releases, there was no booklet and the artwork overall just seemed pointless and not really in any relation to the music. The album could be very powerful at some parts and very cool and relaxing at others, don't just take my word for it and go listen to them yourself too, I am just trying to lead you in the right direction. This band is for fans of bands like Thrice, Mastodon, or even High on Fire. If you like Torche a lot and you want to buy the album, which I strongly encourage, you can do so with this link to Amazon.com. That's all for this one so,
STAY ALTERNATIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment