some text

May 20, 2012

Best Coast - The Only Place (Album Review)




The new Best Coast album The Only Place was on sale at Best Buy for $7.99 and it was also listed as one of Alternative Press Magazine's Most Anticipated Albums of 2012, so I decided to give it a go. I have never listened to Best Coast before buying this CD, however I did know it was a female fronted by Bethany Cosentino who also plays guitars, the only other member being Bobb Bruno, who plays drums, guitars, and bass. The album was released off of Mexican Summer records on May 15th, 2012. The album has 11 tracks and is roughly 34 minutes long. The vocals on this album were all spot on and even though most tracks seemed very similar musically, I thought the music aspect of this album was very good also. The album art for this album is taken from a sheet music piece cover from 1915 entitled 'I Love You California'. Best Coast is located in CA, and that is very present within the lyrics of the album. The album was produced by Jon Brion, who also plays a few instruments on the album as well. This is their second overall record, the first being Crazy for You which was also released off of Mexican Summer. The band has been around since 2009 and has gained a pretty large fan base in that short amount of time and I hope to see more from them. But over all I am going to give Best Coast's sophomore record an overall rating of
3.0 Out Of 5 Stars
I am giving it this rating because I guess I didn't care for their brand of laid back surf-rock as much as I would have of hoped I would. A lot of the songs were very much the same, and I thought the lyrics could have been a lot more stronger, but overall I didn't hate it but I definitely don't think its in the running for any Album Of The Year awards. That's all I got on this album, so until tomorrow, If you want to buy the album CLICK THIS

No comments:

Post a Comment