some text

May 25, 2012

of Montreal - Paralytic Stalks (Album Review)



of Montreal is a band that has been thriving in the indie pop/rock scene since their beginning in Anthens, GA in 1996. Paralytic Stalks is the band 11th studio album to date, you can view their complete discography Here, and their 6th release on Polyvinyl Records, since 2004. Paralytic Stalks was released on February 7th 2012, with only 9 tracks but still almost an hour in length because if all of the extremely long songs including 'Ye, Renew The Plaintiff' at 8:45 long and the album closer 'Authentic Pyrrhic Remission' at an astonishing 13:13. The album was released digitally, on CD (which is how I acquired it), on cassette, and on vinyl. The band is made up of an assortment of musicians playing a wide variety of instruments. The main member is Kevin Barnes who not only produced and wrote all of the songs, but is also the lead vocalist for the band. He arranged all of the tracks and also preformed all of the tracks. As for professional reviews, this album did fairly well, with it getting a 3 1/2 stars by AllMusic, 3 stars by Rolling Stone, and peaking at 121 on the US Billboard 200. As for a TheAltMusic rating I am only going to give it a
2.9 Out Of 5 Stars
because to start off, I have never really been a fan of the whole psychedelic indie pop genre, but I think that musically, and to people who enjoy that genre of music would love the album. I just felt that to start off, I just don't care for Kevin Barnes voice, it just always seems to be off key. The lyrics on the album were OK, nothing ground breaking but still very thought out, as they should be for a band who has done this 10 times before. My favorite song on the album would have to be 'Wintered Debts', and even though it is over 7 minutes long, I think it is one of the best song writing, and display of Kevin's vocal talents, which I did enjoy in this track. The song has an amazing melody, which you can listen to HERE. If you like of Montreal, and haven't picked up this album with artwork that is just downright strange, which is most likely some sort of abstract art but I just don't know what exactly it is supposed to represent, I suggest that if you listen to them, like them, and haven't already bought the physical release, I can't even stress this enough to purchase it. I bought mine at Best Buy but you guys can use my link to amazon and buy it Here. I want to know what you guys thought of the album, so leave a comment on this blog telling me, but that's all I have for this one, so until the next one make sure to
STAY ALTERNATIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment