some text

May 21, 2012

The Koffin Kats - Our Way & The Highway (Album Review)



The Koffin Kats are a 3 piece band from Detroit who have been around since 2003 and have been writing songs about drug use, self loathing, and all things evil ever since. The band's lineup consists of Vic Victor on lead vocals and upright bass, Eric “e Ball” Walls on drums, and after the departure of founding member and guitarist Tommy Koffin, in 2010, is now filled with EZ Ian on guitars and backing vocals. Our Way & The Highway, released on January 24, 2012, marks TKK's 6th studio album, and their first release off of Sailors Grave records, following Koffin Kats in 2003, Inhumane in 2005, Straying From The Pack in 2006, Drunk In The Daylight in 2008, and Forever For Hire in 2009. Most people consider their sound as psychobilly punk n roll, and I really don't think I could have put it any better than that, because with the look, sound, and lyrics they are just a rugged bunch of punk rocking psycobillies. It was reviewed by Alternative Press in the February 2012 issue with the Anthony Green cover story. AP gave it a 3/5 stars and they really hit a lot of strong points. The drumming on it is amazing along with most of the interesting instruments on the album. I am giving this Koffin Kats album an overall rating of
2.7 Out Of 5 Stars
because of the fact that even though the musical instruments on the album were very interesting and fun to listen to the album really lacked in many parts. Granted I am not a fan of the psycobilly genre, and that my be the leading reason why I didn't care for this album as much as I would have hoped. They lyrics and the vocals on the album was pretty bad, I didn't car for his voice but maybe some people might like it, and the lyrics I honestly just felt as if they didn't put enough time into it. My favorite song on the 14 track album was 'For The Good Times' which you can listen to HERE. Make sure to judge them yourself and don't hate them cause I gave them a bad rating. If you genuinely like them and want to purchase their CD as I did you can do that either through their record label Sailors Grave, like I did or through Amazon.com. Make sure to support them if you like them because this band tours non-stop and that cost a lot of money, so if you want to ever see them live or if you just want them to NOT break up, I suggest you buy the album. That's all I got on this review, more to come but until then,



No comments:

Post a Comment