some text

May 30, 2012

The Real McKenzies - Westwinds (Album Review)




The Real McKenzies are a band who mix punk with bagpipes to create an amazing genre of music, known as Celtic Punk. This is their 8th full length studio album, and their 4th release off of Fat Wreck Cords. They started their band in 1992 out of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Since their start they have had numerous line-up changes but the personnel on their most recent release Westwinds is Sean Sellers on drums, Mark Boland on lead guitar, Kurt Robertson on guitar, Gord Taylor on guitar, Paul McKenzie on lead vocals, and Justin Burdick on bass. The album consists of 13 tracks and a length of almost 45 minutes. The album was released on March 27, 2012. The album for me was a different experience, I didn't really know what to expect being that I had never before really listened to bagpipes before. This was the first album I bought, or even listened to for that matter, by The Real McKenzies but I can honestly say that I was not disappointed. I think I loved that album a lot based on the pure rough voice that the lead singer, Paul McKenzie, has. The band I feel has two different sides, one side where it is a fast paced punk record, like songs like 'Fool's Road' and another side where the album is extremely relaxing.like the pipe only instrumental song 'Francis Fraser' or 'The Tempest'. After weighing the pros and cons of the album I am giving it a rating of a
4.2 Out Of 5 Stars
because even though a good portion of the album I enjoyed, there was still a part of me that was questioning every song. The lyrics on the album can be meaningful and powerful and on the other hand, some songs lyrics sound purely fantasy like the song 'Barrett's Privateers'. Most songs on the album were fairly enjoyable, but my favorite song on the album hands down is 'My Head Is Filled With Music' because of the fact that I think that song combines many of the amazing factors that make up this band into one song. You can listen to the song HERE. I purchased my physical copy of the album through amazon.com, and you can do the same using this LINK. Make sure you support this band if you like them, they have been around for 20 years and they still need support thought buying CDs or merch and going to venues. That's all I have for The Real Mckenzies 8th studio album Westwinds, and until the next one
STAY ALTERNATIVE

1 comment:

  1. Dude this is awesome thanks for bringing me an awesome new alternative band! U should do some Sum 41 reviews if u have time!:) and if u can check out my blog, about music, mostly alternative and rock. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete