some text

May 28, 2012

Eve 6 - Speak In Code (Album Review)



Eve 6 is a three piece band from Southern California who started their band in 1995. Speak in Code is Eve 6's 4th album released following their previous releases: Eve 6 in 1998, Horrorscope in 2000, and Its All In Your Head in 2003. Speak In Code is the bands first album in 9 years after their breakup. The band consists of Max Collins on lead vocals and bass, Tony Fagenson on drums and keys, and Jon Siebels on guitar and backing vocals, who are all founding member of the band and appear on every album to date. Max writes all of lyrics for the band and it was produced by Don Gilmore and mixed by Don Gilmore and Chris Lord-Alge. The album was released on April 24th, 2012 through Fearless Records, the bands first release through this label. So far they have released 2 singles off of this album which are Lost & Found and Victoria, and they have released a music video for Victoria. I have always been a huge Eve 6 fan so when I heard news of the new album I was super stoked being that their self titled album is hands down the best pop-punk album from the 90's. So I made sure I pre-ordered the physical album, I didn't get any packages, because I am not really into all of the extra stuff, I usually just want the CD. My biggest fear was that Eve 6 would go off of their track and try new stuff, not that there's anything wrong with bands doing that, but I was just looking forward to some classic Eve 6. Any I was not disappointed. While they did not create something crazy out of the ordinary, they also did not create Horrorscope Part 2. They did something that I think every single comeback needs, a classic sound mixed with new elements, which is something they pulled off almost seamlessly. So after listening to the album like 100 times I am going to give it a
4.8 Out Of 5 Stars
because of the fact that after 9 years of not recording any new Eve 6 music they return with a new breed of Eve 6, an almost more mature version of their self titled album, which if I reviewed it, would get a 5/5 stars. I feel that the album was a powerful mix and mash of 12 songs that were new sounding mixing with older sounds while still keeping with the mix of pop punk and alternative rock. I think that my favorite song on the album was the opening song 'Curtain' because it made me feel nostalgic and hope for the new sound Eve 6 is making. You can listen to the song 'Curtain' Here. Also If you haven't picked up the new album which can be so easily done Here. So if you like catchy alternative pop-punk rock with powerful lyrics, with a singer with a different yet amazing voice with an experienced band backing him up, then I strongly encourage you to pick up Speak In Code by Eve 6. That's all for now so until next time
STAY ALTERNATIVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment